Re: What is an old car worth?

To: <info@theyeagergroup.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What is an old car worth?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 11:18:06 -0500
I wrote:

> Old more original cars obviously get the premium prices, and the more
> optional original equipment you have installed the higher the premium
> again.  Overdrive, Air Conditioning, Hardtop... in that order.  Although
> so many TRs lack A/C it isn't something to count against the car, but
> it is something to count when the car has it... and commands
>  probably another $1000 if fully functioning and converted to R132 use.

Additionally, mileage is a factor in a car's price.  However, when we're
talking about the high priced cars it isn't so much of a factor as a
preference.  This is because a $15-18k TR6 usually have had a complete
overhaul with full system rebuilds, and the only indication of mileage is on
the odometer.

Mileage becomes a selling point when you've got a 20,000 original mile TR6.
Then you can obviously find some nut who will buy it for probably $20k.

I prefer leak down and compression checks coupled with a long test drive,
than basing the mechanical systems of a car on mileage.  Half the time the
mileage isn't even verifiable.

Kai