Re: PDWA rebuild kit didn't work (long)

To: "Skip Montanaro" <skip@pobox.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: PDWA rebuild kit didn't work (long)
From: "Nelson Riedel" <Nelson@buckeyetriumphs.org>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 06:41:13 -0400
Subject: PDWA rebuild kit didn't work... :-(

> The PDWA repair kit I ordered from TRF didn't work for my TR-250.
(damn...)
> The o-ring inside diameter was definitely too big for the little shuttle
> residing in my PDWA.  Mine is the old style (used to have a little
> cup-shaped seal).  I think I'll go over to McMaster-Carr Monday and see
what
> I can find in the way of EPDM o-rings.  If I find something to buy there,
> I'll have to buy qty 100.  Anyone need some?
>
> --
> Skip Montanaro (skip@pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)

Hi Skip

I've taken apart quite a few PDWAs from the TR250 through late TR6s.  I've
been told there were PDWAs made with different size cylinders.   Every one
I've seen has a 5/16" cylinder.  However, the pistons I've found in the
TR250 and early TR6  use a cup shaped seal as you seem to have, not an
O-Ring.  I don't think an O-ring will work on them and as far as I know, no
one carries the cup type seal.   A photo of the two type pistons and seals
is shown at:

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/PDWA3.JPG

The upper piston is the one I've always found in the TR250.  Note that the
seal is not an O-Ring and the piston is not cut for an O-Ring.  Also, the
diameter of the piston where the O-ring would fit doesn't match a standard
O-Ring. I've always substituted a piston from a later type PDWA when the
seals failed on an early unit.   I've now ran out of late pistons so the
next step will be to make little sleeves to press on each end of the early
piston to make the shape like that of the late piston so that I can use the
standard O-Ring seal of the late piston.

All the later units that used O-Ring seals that I've found use an
O-Ring with 3/16" ID & 5/16" OD with 1/16" cross section --- O-Ring size #
008. Ethylene Propylene (EP/EPR/EPDM) is the correct material.   I bought
100 from McMaster -Carr for a little over $8.   Let me know if you need a
couple of that size.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, Ohio
'68TR250, '76TR6, '70TR6 (project)