Fan switch

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fan switch
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 07:35:02 -0700 (PDT)
I have an electric fan on my car, and currently I have an on/off switch
in the car to manually activate it.  I am interested in installing an
automatic thermostatic switch in the radiator (near the outlet) to
simplify the system, as well as make it look neat (I'm not a big fan of
the aftermarket "probes" that you stick through the radiator fins).  I
am going to have a radiator shop install a threaded piece in the
radiator to accept the switch.

A couple questions.  Does anybody on the list have a similar setup?
What kind of switch are you using?  What is a good "on" temp and "off"
temp for the switch?  I run a summer thermostat (I believe 165 F), but
sometimes also use the regular thermostat (180 F).  I would really like
to install a switch that is common and readily available (something I
could pick up at any Pep Boys in the event of a failure).

Someone last week posted about a switch that they got from Moss Europe
which goes in the metal return pipe and has an on temp of 86C/187F, and
an off temp of 81C/178F.  However, I'm not sure if Moss USA has this
available, and I would prefer to install an off-the-shelf part rather
than a specialty piece from a British car supplier.  However, these
on/off temps for the switch seem to make sense for our cars.

Thanks everyone!

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience