Re: Elapsed Times, etc.

To: <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Elapsed Times, etc.
From: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 10:32:05 -0400
Dick,

Nice tutorials.  One important question:  Do you use engine hp, or rwhp?  It
seems to me that you are using crank hp, so there are no allowances for
drive-train loss.

Is it really as simple as this?  I thought tires, air temperature and a
zillion other things all played a role, not to mention drivers reaction
times and gear-changing times.  I'm guessing that this simple equation
assumes no wheel-spin, cool air and gas temperatures, peak-hp all through
the rpm range, zero-time gear-changing, and perfect driver reaction time.

Still, as a guide it is a lot of fun to play.

As an aside one of the big scams in selling modern cars is the gearing they
use to ensure that the 2-3 gear shift occurs AFTER the car hits 60mph.  This
way auto manufacturers can quote low 0-60 times which would be really hurt
if the motor hits the redline at 58mph.

Shane Ingate in Maryland