RE: Towing

To: <Vsnively@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Towing
From: "Stephen L. Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 08:15:02 -0700
We have a Car Caddy, similar to the one U-Haul rents.  They tow great but
are a bit squirrelly when un-loaded.  Our biggest problem was that they have
no brakes.  There is an option on the Car Caddy to put electric brakes on
and I would heartily recommend it.

I still don't quite buy the "transmission damage" info that has gone through
the thread.  The trans is splash oiled and driving from the rear end will
still "splash" oil.  The only other factor might be the "OD" I'm not sure
how the oil pump for that drives.  The only real reason you can't drag
auto-trans cars around is that the oil pump is driven off the engine side
and without oil pressure there is no coupling from the back to the front.

I also think it will be a tight fit, but I can try to put my TR on the one I
have and let you know.  When I put the TR on a full-up car carrier it just
fit the troughs.  The other problem is that the car is so short that the
tongue weight is way to high.

Steve Hanselman
tr6@kc4sw.com