Story about Toyota brake conversion

To: 6pack <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Story about Toyota brake conversion
From: Chuck Arnold <Chuck.Arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 08:09:47 -0700
Thought I would share my stupidity in hopes it spares others:
I bought new 16x7 Panasport wheels and sticky Kuhmo tires for the TR6.
Thought I'd upgrade the brakes too.  Bought Toyota 4 pot front calipers
that bolt right on.  Bought new pads [$150 yikes].  Bought a brake
flaring tool [we are getting into some real money by now].  Got it all
in.  Could not bleed the brakes [would bleed, no brakes though].
Thought I had a bad master cylinder.  Bought two Tiltons to replace the
one TR one [for less money, and now I have a real duel circuit].
Fabricated a part to push the duel rods [also bought a balance bar but
it will take welding on the brake pedal to install.]
 Still no good.  Bought a larger diameter cylinder [1 inch instead of
.75]. Still no good.    It is now Friday night and doing a race track
stint 300 miles away is out of the question.

Called a friend.  He asked a simple question to which I immediately
replied -- "no they are on the only way they can go".  About 20 minutes
later the light bulb came on -- I had mounted the calipers on the wrong
wheels so the bleed screw was to low and the air never escaped!!! Damn,
got to learn to call for help sooner.

Now an appeal -- does anyone have spare brake pedal they could part
with?  I'd like to have a backup in case the welding effort fails.

Thanks,
Chuck Arnold

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
Chuck.Arnold.vcf]