Re: Brake fluid Flush

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake fluid Flush
From: Ed McGuirk <emcguirk@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 17:23:54 -0400
I remember reading several years ago that the army used an intermediate
fluid that caused the two types of brake fluid to intermix. Silicone fluid
is lighter than DOT 3/4 fluid and will "float" over the old fluid leaving
pockets of old fluid if you try to flush the DOT 3/4 fluid with the
silicone fluid. Intermixing would save the labor cost of emptying and
refilling the brake lines.

You would flush the DOT 3/4 fluid with the intermediate fluid. They would
mix and leave mostly intermediate fluid as you flush it through. Then you
would flush with silicone fluid. They would also intermix and would become
all silicone as you flush it through.

Unfortunately I do not remember what the intermediate fluid was.

Ed McGuirk