Re: Brake fluid Flush

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake fluid Flush
From: "Nelson Riedel" <Nelson@buckeyetriumphs.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 18:40:43 -0400

Each of us have to make our own decisions on our TRs.  I wouldn't think of
telling anyone what to do, especially to their brakes.  However, I feel very
comfortable telling you what I do.

I will not contaminate my brake system with alcohol.  Alcohol boils at 175
degrees F.  Any that remains in the system such as the lower parts of the
calipers will likely boil under moderate usage causing brake failure.

I will use fresh DOT4 to flush my system.  It readily mixes with old DOT3/4
as well as water.  If the pistons are pushed all the way back into the
calipers, most if not all of the old fluid should be flushed out as well as
any water.

After flushing with fresh DOT4, I feel safe converting  the system to
silicone fluid by first using compressed air to clean out as much of the
DOT4 as possible and and then filling up with the silicone fluid and bleeing
each wheel till it runs purple.

In this situation there will likely be some fresh DOT4 in the bottom of the
calipers.  This is not a problem since it will be fresh and hence dry, the
silicone fluid will shield it from the areas where moisture can be absorbed
and of course, DOT4 and silicone fluid are compatiable.

I would definately flush my system with DOT4 if I suspected someone had
contaminated it with alcohol.

Nelson Riedel