air filters for TR6?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: air filters for TR6?
From: George Loriot <George_Loriot@brown.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:51:05 -0400
Hi all,

I have a novice question about air filters.  I've been reading the various
posters who have said, load and clear, that the TR6 engine neeeds to
breathe.  I have a stock '76, so while fiddling with it I decided to remove
the stock oval-shaped air cleaner and see if even that small amount of
extra breathing hakes a difference.  I certainly did!  Considerabley more
lively, snappier, etc.  Not anythin approaching race tune, but this is only
a daily driver.  The paper filters look quite clean, so it seems like the
difference in power is some combination of open area on the canister and
type of filter.  The stock canister has a small opening for air, maybe
choking off the flow.

Looks like there are 2 alternatives:

1. dual canister with standard paper filer.  Lots more open area for air flow.
2. dual K&N canister with K&N filter.  More open area as above, but with
these special filters.

Does anyone have an opinion/experience with these options?  The big
question is whether the K&N filter is mush better than standard filters if
we have the same open area for air flow.  K&N are lots more expensive, but
if it's noticeable I'll go for it.

Remember, not a racer, just toolin' around.  I really like this car, and
this list is truly great.

George Loriot

   George B. Loriot                    George_Loriot@brown.edu
   TCASCV, Box 1885                   PH:  401-863-7308
   Brown University                   FAX: 401-863-7566
   115 Waterman St.                   CELL:401-338-6849
   Providence RI 02912