Restoration

To: dmallin@attglobal.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Restoration
From: YeOldEd@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 11:11:41 EDT
After having my LBC in the garage under a pile of moving cartons for 18
years, I finished the ground-up restoration today. (Well, almost! I'm still
waiting for the soft-top  currently being custom made by Robbins.)

Every nut and bolt, screw and washer, piece of wire has been checked, rebuilt
or replaced. All painted parts are powder-coated. All hardware is Grade 8 or
minimum Grade 5. New glass. New dash. Some chassis parts replaced or
strengthened. Upgraded suspension. Rubber out, polyurethane in. Carpet is
wool. Seats are leather. The car looks better, (BRG with light tan interior),
than when it stood on the showroom floor 30 years ago, waiting for a buyer.

My retired engineer buddy and I did everything except body and paint, and
upholstery. That includes welding. The job, (or should I say the fun), lasted
14 months, of which 4 months was spent in the body and paint shop.

I paid $800 in '84 for the car with a rebuilt engine. (Long story.) Body,
paint, interior and top cost just over $10,000. Final total is around
$19,500. I suppose the little fella is worth about eleven or twelve grand.
Who really knows?

I am 68, but when I climb in and crank up, I'm 21 again. Ask me if it was
worth it. You'd better believe it. At the moment, I'm busy enjoying my toy,
but I hope to have some pictures on the net pretty soon. Now I'm thinking
about a 4A.

Hope that helps. Best of British luck to you!

Mike N

CC75088L