Re: Need Restoration tips

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>, 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Need Restoration tips
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:27:00 -0400
Don Malling wrote:

> I live in upstate NY, near Binghamton NY which is on the NY/PA
> border between Scranton PA and Syracuse NY, and am
> wondering if anyone can give some advise on where I could get
> it restored.

John, some of the finest restorations I have seen in your area, have come
from AJ's Foreign Auto in Ithaca, NY.  The owner, Alain, has a fantastic MGA
as well as a special edition MGB (another superb example).  When I was a
college student in Ithaca (just a few  years ago), he also had a black Jag
XK140 Coupe waiting for restoration.  Alain is located at 90 Cherry Street,
Ithaca NY (on a industrial road behind the Wegman's supermarket).  Tel:
607.272.7313.

In the northern PA area is North East (Eastern?) Classics, near Marshall's
Creek (just north of Stroudsburg).  I was in their shop once, and it was
packed with Jaguar E-types as well as the obligatory MGs.  I had their card,
but I can't seem to find it now.

Be very wary of shops that require large initial deposits to do work.  If
they aren't willing to bill you monthly, based on the work they have
completed, it is rarely worth doing business with them.  Walk away if they
require a $5000 deposit to begin work.  "If you find a shop and they need a
deposit, they can't afford to be in business."

HTH,

Kai