Re: Toyota conversion

To: "Paula J. Graffam" <pjgraffam@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Toyota conversion
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:36:07 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Paula J. Graffam wrote:

> Listers,
> Could I get some feedback about the pros and cons on a conversion to
> replace my #$%^&* transmission on my 74-6?  Any advice will be welcomed,

Pros - modern tranny that is likely stronger than original.

Cons - WAAAAY too expensive.

Comments - this is like using a 50 pound sledge hammer to adjust your
spark plug gap. Sure, it'll work (maybe, in the case of the sledge
hammer), but the results?

The cost is $2k plus a tranny. If you're spending $2k to start with, you'd
exercising poor judgement to put in a junkyard tranny, so add another $500
or more to rebuild the donor tranny.

Rebuild your TR6 tranny - $650 with a guarantee. More $$$ if you have O/D,
but less than $2500.

DO THE MATH.

To be honest, the TR6 tranny is pretty stout. If you've been having
problems with yours, maybe it wasn't built right. On the other hand, the
early TR6 trannies (through CF12500 or a bit higher) are equipped with
brass top-hat bushings which are less than fantastic. But if you can find
a working late-model tranny that doesn't sound like a blender when you
spin it, it'll last good and long.

> Al

So, what sort of problem are you having with your tranny?

Good luck deciding!
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |