Re: Toyota conversion

To: lang@isis.mit.edu, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Toyota conversion
From: ds55427@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 14:08:33 EDT
Bottom line here is.... Some people are looking for low maintenance or
Longevity, and other's want something, you can put some short throwing, hard
Rs on, once in a while, and still have smooth entry on the 3 rd syncro.

The 76 came with this ridiculously high,  ( Granny / Tractor ) shifter, that
I just had to cut off, and lower.

Tim mentioned....
I've had my o/d tranny rebuilt twice on my 6, and each time, the 3rd
> gear syncro has gone south.

You and about 50 thousand others, I have never seen one that can take a speed
shift.

So unless you happen to be a first class, Loooong time, experienced.....
Limey mechanic, that knows all of there inherent weaknesses, or are connected
to the racers who have paid heavy doos.

You get the 3rd world......Junk that is laid on the plate, and we Eat.....
what they give us, and then start complaining about it later.

Personal comments on my 76, is ratios between the gears are to far apart.

If, I were to have designed for my personal driving taste, I would have 5
gears for faster speeds to 70, then a 6th, or over drive for a sweet cruse of
80 with RPMs around 2000.

Don