Wiper Access Hatch in Firewall

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Wiper Access Hatch in Firewall
From: ShewFamily@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:30:45 -0400
Hello List,
I am preparing my '74 TR to go to the body shop to repair damage caused in my
altercation with the Volvo wagon several months ago.  Hopefully, the 6 items
that have been back-ordered by TRF will arrive by the end of September.  The
only item that is really holding me up is the front valance. I hope they are
shooting straight about the expected delivery time.

My question concerns the access hatch in the firewall where the windshield
wiper mechanism mounts to the wiper motor.  This access hatch appears to be
stuck on with a sealant, not spot welded to the firewall.  Is this correct.  I
would like to remove the wiper mechanism for painting and I have some rust to
clean up and treat at the bottom of the access hatch.

How best to remove this without damaging?  Thanks for your help.
John Shewmake
'74 TR6
Chattanooga, TN