Re: Pirelli P400's and Pressure

To: James Tabor <jattr6@hotmail.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pirelli P400's and Pressure
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:17:18 -0400
James Tabor wrote:

> NOTE II: I now have MXV4's because they are closer to stock
> size and I do not recall Pirelli's available in that size w/o white
 > wall... and SUPER sale (tirerack.com) on the otherwise VERY
> expensive MXV4's.

I have had bad experiences with Michelin Energy MXV4+ tires.  They came new
on my 2002 Jetta, all around in 195/65R15 configuration, and within 5000
miles I had one blow out and at about 8000 miles had a severe sidewall
blister form.  The blister was not the result of any curb or pothole abuse,
there was absolutely no exterior abrasion on or near the area of the
blister.  The Michelin dealer of course attributed it to road use.
Disregarding the problems with the tires, I found them to wear quite
quickly, produce understeer and not to be the greatest wet weather tire.

The solution?  Bridgestone Potenza RE950s.  Half the price of the Michelins,
with double the performance.  Grip in all weather conditions improved
remarkably and handling is now much more neutral.  Fortunately, they are
wearing at a slower rate than the Michelins were.

After both Michelin tire failures (they were replaced, at the time, with the
same Michelins), I played around with tire pressures on the Michelins to try
and get acceptable performance from them.  I made minor changes of about +
or - 2 psi from front to back to try and dial out the understeer and improve
the overall grip.  Nothing.  The Bridgestone's perform as well as I expected
running on the VW recommended pressures, so that is where they are staying.

My 2003 Jetta GLI was ordered a few weeks ago, and as soon as it is
delivered, the Michelins will again be stripped off and replaced with
Bridgestone Potenza RE950s.  I consider the Michelin tire to be unsafe and a
poor performer especially when the replacement cost of the tire was
$140/each (tirerack too!) when I needed two replacements; a true
disappointment.

Bridgestone RE950s are going on my TR6 once I take delivery of the car and
it gets a set of Panasports this fall.

Kai