Re: Wiring Woes/other sugg

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wiring Woes/other sugg
From: "Valerie Stabenow" <hlub34a@aeroinc.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 22:07:59 -0500
The ignition light is trying to tell you something...probably that an
alternator diode is failing. See if a reputable autoparts store can test it
for you. It may also be that the fan belt is loose. Check the manual for the
correct belt deflection. If the belt is too loose the alt won't charge and
you would get that light indication.

I use Mobil 93 in all my old boys. The jaguar and tr6 came with hardened
valves and seats, the mga has a rebuilt engine and the 4a is currently
undergoing an engine rebuild. I buy genuine tetraethyl lead in quart
containers and throw some in from time to time to boost the octane. You can
also buy cam2 race gas and add it to your tank.

The directionals may not work if the bulbs are dead. Try replacing all the
bulbs, it's a good idea anyway. It may also be the flasher unit itself...a
little silver metal 'can'. If you can find it,take it to the auto parts
store for a repl. I have very good luck with my NAPA store here. They are
very helpful, but not all NAPA stores seem to be that way.

Try to find a Tr6 shop manual (Haynes, not perfect but a great place to
start), there is much maintenance and troubleshooting you can do.

You will also want to bleed the brake system (use Castrol brake fluid,
unless silicone [purple color] is in there now]; drain and flush the cooling
system and replace all the rad hoses and heater hoses. Replace the dist.
cap, rotor,points, plugs and ignition wires. It's also a good idea to drain
and replace the gearbox oil and diff oil. Use Valvoline hypoid 80 GL 3 or 4.
Not a higher rating, those contain additives that may damage gears.

If the tires show any sign of age, fine cracks, etc. get rid of them and buy
new ones.

Have fun and good luck!!

Valerie Stabenow, 62 MGA MkII, 67 TR4a, 69 XK-E FHC, 73 TR-6, 81 Corvette
Coupe