Re: tips for upcoming uk trip

To: "Peter Zaborski" <plz@shaw.ca>,
Subject: Re: tips for upcoming uk trip
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 01:12:09 -0500
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> I will be in the UK in about 2 weeks . . . My itinerary includes a
> Jaguar factory tour (street cars, not F1) and since that's in Coventry,
> I think it's close to the Gaydon (?) facility. Is that true?

I don't have my map handy, but my recollection is that Gaydon is not that
far off, and if you're traveling from London to Coventry you'll be passing
very close by.

> What exactly is the Gaydon facility? Is there anything interesting to
> see there?

Gaydon is the British Motor Heritage Center, and they have a delightful (and
very extensive) collection of British cars, including a number of Triumphs,
as well as other auto-related memorabilia. I spent most of the day there on
my trip last fall and considered it well worth the time and the cost (8 GBP)

> Also, if any one is on the big triumphs list, is John McCartney still a
> member of that group? ISTR he used to work at Triumph when it was still a
> going concern and was most recently involved in the Triumph facility at
> Gaydon. Has any one heard from John lately?

A question similar to yours was recently asked on the big TR group just a
couple of days back, to which John replied. Unfortunately, he retired from
the Centre some months ago. I've copied another of the replies below.

> I was also thinking of possibly visiting Racetorations as this seems
> to be a popular supplier of high end racing parts for TRs.

Ractorations is like a Disneyland for TR freaks. When I was there, I was
given a tour of the facility--lots of cars under restoration and race
preparation, TR's being built with aluminum body panels, and a huge
inventory of TR parts and speedy bits for sale. Well worth the trip.

> Someone mentioned that they were in $ trouble - is this correct?

Perhaps you can give us a report? It might be a good idea to call them first
. . .

Jim Hill
Madison WI
========================
Graham Stretch wrote:

Gaydon, Where to start, a large well laid out museum, with a series of
special features, period area where even the road surface matches the
vehicle ages, When I was there earlier in the year they had a selection of
cars owned by royalty to celebrate the Jubilee. Prior to this the area had a
formula one display, the display in this area changes from time to time.
Outside there is an off road experience area, where you can watch a display
of what the Land Rover can do, or for a small charge you can go round in the
Land Rover.

IMHO whatever you do pay this place a visit, but don't pop in, go for the
day!  All in all #8.00 isn't too bad for something to do all day.