Throttle cable linkage [was TR6 track experience]

To: jdavis344@directvinternet.com
Subject: Throttle cable linkage [was TR6 track experience]
From: "Shane Ingate" <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 10:33:29 -0400
Jim,

I'll try to describe this without benefit of photographs.  As an aside, I
now
realize that a digital camera should be the first thing anyone should
purchase when doing a major restoration.  I have 14 rolls of film
waiting to be developed, and when I finally do get them developed,
I'll probably spend more time scratching my head figuring what the
photograph
is of (and which way is up) than putting the car back together again!

The first thing I made was a sheet of aluminum that I sandwich between the
Strombergs and the intake manifold.  To this sheet I bolted a "L-shaped"
bracket
that would hold the throttle return springs.  I had a number of springs
around, including
the type where one spring is inside another, and so by using different
combinations of
springs, I was able to get a nice throttle return without having an action
that was too
heavy.  By having redunatnt springs also satisfies tech-inspection.  The
aluminum sheet
also works as a heat shield from the exhaust manifold.

Now the parts that I picked up at the Bug Warehouse become useful. These
include a
bracket which goes *behind* the throttle pedal, and another which bolts to
the sheet metal
underneath the carbs.  The throttle cable outer sheath runs between these
brackets, and
is secured along its length with cable ties.  Other brackets and bolts
secure the inner
cable ends to the pedal and the carb linkage.  I had the cable custom built
for length.

This may not be the cleanest installation in the world, and I am sure that
others could
make a neater job.  When "Rags" comes back together, I'll still use a cable,
but I've
not given any thought yet if I will do it differently.

I hope this gives you the idea.

Cheers,

Shane Ingate in Maryland