RE: The TR6 I Didn't Buy ... and E-Bay

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: The TR6 I Didn't Buy ... and E-Bay
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:13:40 -0500
I've bought several cars on E-Bay, and if a car is materially misrepresented
(which amounts to fraud), there is no legal obligation to go through with
the purchase.

Where the problem arises is a) trying to get your deposit back from the
seller, if you've sent one, and b) you have no way to get back the expenses
and time that you spent making a trip to buy the car.

All my e-bay purchases have been good ones: an RX7, a Jaguar, and a TR6 (the
latter bought from an Indiana collector car dealer and shipped at my expense
to Virginia, sight unseen). All have been honestly represented ... but I
asked a LOT of questions and got a LOT of answers before I bid.

Unfortunately, it is mostly auto sellers who get victimized on E-Bay (and
I'm not one of them, since I've never sold a car through the service.)
People bid on cars who have no intention of buying. Not only do these
deadbeats (mostly newbies) "win" auctions and then fail to follow through,
they also discourage other bidders ... if I'm seriously interested in a car,
I'm not going to bid against newbies, because I have no interest in
competing against somebody who is bidding up the price but who has no
intention of buying.

--Graham