Engine Re-build

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Re-build
From: "Wayne Ross" <rengrave@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:52:29 -0400
Listers,

Because this is my first engine re-build, I want to make sure I am doing
everything correctly.
I currently have my engine down to the block with pistons and crank, head
with valves. As I removed all bolts and parts, I placed them in ziplock bags
and labeled.

After talking to the macnine shop, they told me to take the pistons, crank
and all freeze plugs out of the block, they just need the block to check and
hone the bores and deck the top if it needs it.
They did say, however, to bring the pistons so they could inspect them.

They want the crank alone, and they will grind and attach a tag with the
size they machine to so I can buy the correct bearings.

As far as the head goes, the machine shop told me to leave the valves in,
and they would remove, check, clean, grind seats. If all looks good, re-use.
(If they look good after all these years with unleaded fuel, why upgrade)?

They told me the more I do myself, the more money I would save.

How does this sound to everyone, any advise? I am going to remove the
pistons, label them, and remove the crank, label the caps, and remove all
freeze plugs then bring the parts to the machine shop sometime next week.

Wayne
Westport, MA
1973 TR6 (Mallard)