RE: Running too rich

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Running too rich
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 21:35:43 -0400
Don,

        I certainly cannot attest to the accuracy of the following statements:
but
I do believe that the mixture setting is adjustable for your carb's.
Somewhere along the way Stromberg switched from a simple E-clip adjustment
scenario to what I consider the most irritating method of supposedly
tweaking the needle externally. My 72, I think it was the 72, had main jet
needles that had grooves machined in the end where they fit to the carb
slide. I think there were 5, maybe 6! A single E-clip was used in the
appropriate groove to control the placement of the needle in the jet based
upon the modifications, weather conditions, or altitude, that were prevalent
at the time! My recent 74 has those mickey mouse screw jack needle
adjusters. I've already hit the lathe and corrected this. I'm certain that
the screw jack thing, along with GM's cute little hardened idle mixture
screw caps were some sort of, keep the public away tactic.

Jim