Running too rich

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Running too rich
From: Don McGilvery <drm@maine.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 20:47:32 -0400
This is my first post so I hope there is help out there:
I have an early 1969 TR6 with non-adjustable, fixed mixture setting,
Stromberg carbs. I just had the engine rebuilt (oh what a difference in
power!) however I am running rich - black plugs, hesitation and stumbling
starting off in low rev's, etc.  What do I need to do to get the mixture
correct? Do I need to rebuild the carbs (I haven't done it ever in the 12
years and 20K miles that I have had the car)?

Is there some easy and inexpensive and/or time efficient "trick" to
resolving this?

Also, does anyone use Champion 12YC plugs instead of the 9YC's? Other
recommendations?

Thanks,
'69 TR6