TR6 Differential Removal and Inspection

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'triumphs'"
Subject: TR6 Differential Removal and Inspection
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:51:12 -0400
Took out my TR6's differential this afternoon. It took about 3 hours. I had
a bit of trouble  separating the u-joints from the flanges. As Dave Massey
said, I was able to remove it without pulling out the exhaust. The exhuast
did get in the way a bit though. Also, it's pretty scary having something
that big banging around near the fuel line. I'm guessing re-installing will
be a bit more difficult, but who knows?

My initial inspection reveals visible endplay in the pinion. Looks like
about 1/16". I'm guessing this is bad. Is it something that can be repaired
without a teardown? I'm guessing no. Any other tips for inspecting this or
for inspecting the used replacement I will likely be pursuing this week?

Thanks for all past and future advice.

Hugh Fader