Rebuilding the TR250 Stromberg 175CD-2SE

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuilding the TR250 Stromberg 175CD-2SE
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 00:55:30 -0400
On page 41 of the Haynes Zenith Stromberg manual it says...

"The unit, despite having the appearance of previous types is
incomparably more sophisticated  and may not be  satisfactorily dealt
with by the methods detailed in this manual."

"A damaged unit may be restored to a serviceable condition by
replacement of defective items but it is unlikely that the original
performance, with regard to the extraordinary precision of emission
control of which this unit is capable, will be restored".

"Reconditioning a generally worn unit is not feasible and it should be
returned to the manufacturer for overhaul, or for replacement with a new
unit."

Roger Williams says on page 119

"It's probably underrated but, in view of the relative difficulty in
setting and tuning the Stromberg, it's best replaced by the SU."

Should I read the above as saying that they can be rebuilt and will run
well, but may not conform to emission control standards? At less than
2500 miles per year, I don't think I care much about emission control
standards. Is there more to it? Maybe these should be replaced by SU?

Also, if I buy one on e-bay, for the Richard Good 3 carb setup, are
these carbs so touchy that it is likely I will get one that is so
defective that it can't be rebuilt.

Anyone deal with Joe Curto in College Point NY. I was told I should get
rebuild kits from him rather than Moss or TRF. www.joecurtoinc.com

Thanks,

Don Malling