RE: Rear Brake Questions...

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rear Brake Questions...
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:16:50 -0500
I'd recommend getting a new adjuster since they're reasonably cheap. also,
when you try to remove the nuts to take off the old adjuster, they'll
probably break off too ...

:)

re the wheel cylinder,  if you're being thrifty it's probably worth getting
the old one tapped out and replacing the bleeder screws. But I'd look inside
it first to see if the bore is clean and also find out what a machine shop
will charge. If it's more than $10, I'd replace the whole thing.

Also, I have vowed that before I ever do anything to my brakes again, I will
have ordered a complete set of new brake lines, with fittings, so when the
old ones break off during removal, I have replacements in hand.

three other tips about brakes.

--if I'm even THINKING about unscrewing bleeder valves, nuts, etc., I spray
'em with Liquid Wrench a few times, preferably a week or two before I try to
loosen them.

--if you don't have them yet, a set of flare nut wrenches helps reduce the
odds of rounding out brake lines. you can get a cheap set from Harbor
Freight Tools.

--last but not least, the bleeder valves are different for front and rear
brakes.

--Graham