Aluminum Plug in Block

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Aluminum Plug in Block
From: "Wayne Ross" <rengrave@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:32:13 -0400
Listers,

Help!
I may have made a mistake, but I am removing everything from the block to
get it ready for the machine shop (baking and machining).
Directly above the oil filter I have a smashed piece of aluminum (which
always bothered me), I found out by looking in TRF catalog, that this is
just another plug which aparently had a head on it when it was new. Why is
it aluminum?
So in an effort to remove all of the fittings from the block, I drilled into
the aluminum and tried using an exracting tool. The aluminum is so soft,
that the extractor just kept winding in ccw, the plug did not move. I
drilled out the aluminum with a larger bit, being careful not to drill the
block. Now I am stuck with a cicle of soft aluminum in the hole.
What should I do now?
Leave it in and let the baking process get it out, and tell the machine shop
to clean it out for me? What type of thread is this? Pipe thread 1/4" NPT?
or Straight thread 1/2" NF or NC?

Any help would be appreciated.

Wayne Ross
Westport, MA