Re: Aluminum Plug in Block

To: rengrave@netzero.net (Wayne Ross)
Subject: Re: Aluminum Plug in Block
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:46:02 -0700 (PDT)
Wayne---Since the shop is going to be hot tanking the block, I'd just
leave it to them to remove the balance of this aluminum plug. They must
get a lot of experience with this. Ask them in advance.

Yes, the plug is aluminum, but only the engineers would know the real
reason for using this, as a tapered pipe thread/plug would seem to have
worked here just as well, had the block been tapped for this. (Better,
in my opinion.)

The thread is a 3/4X16.  Straight, as a bolt. Should you want to replace
it, I found that it is easier to install and remove by first cutting a
slot with a hacksaw blade, across the exposed end.  Now it can be worked
with a thick, flat-bladed screwdriver.

Dick