Re: Aluminum Plug in Block

To: "Wayne Ross" <rengrave@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Aluminum Plug in Block
From: Michael Graham <mgraham@achilles.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:19:06 -0400
Hi Wayne

Yes this is an aluminum plug ... it is actually sold as a "bar" with
several pieces all linked together (like a Rollo chocolate bar). You screw
it in and break it off. No idea why this is aluminum in the first place. I
discovered the hole when I had my engine hot tanked ... the aluminum
dissolves. Here is what I found out and how I filled the hole:

Plug above oil filter (TRF part PU1404) is a 3/4 by 16 thread (UNF), which
I am replacing with a hex-socket set screw (SPAE-NAUR part 478-007). (I
used Kleen-flow gasket maker ... a red goo to seal and it has worked just
fine for the last 18 months or so ... teflon tape did not seal it well
enough I found).

Hope this helps, Mike

At 09:32 AM 26/09/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Listers,
>
>Help!
>I may have made a mistake, but I am removing everything from the block to
>get it ready for the machine shop (baking and machining).
>Directly above the oil filter I have a smashed piece of aluminum (which
>always bothered me), I found out by looking in TRF catalog, that this is
>just another plug which aparently had a head on it when it was new. Why is
>it aluminum?
>So in an effort to remove all of the fittings from the block, I drilled into
>the aluminum and tried using an exracting tool. The aluminum is so soft,
>that the extractor just kept winding in ccw, the plug did not move. I
>drilled out the aluminum with a larger bit, being careful not to drill the
>block. Now I am stuck with a cicle of soft aluminum in the hole.
>What should I do now?
>Leave it in and let the baking process get it out, and tell the machine shop
>to clean it out for me? What type of thread is this? Pipe thread 1/4" NPT?
>or Straight thread 1/2" NF or NC?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Wayne Ross
>Westport, MA
>1973 TR6 (Mallard)
>Unlimited Long Distance only $29.95/ month!

Michael Graham: mgraham@achilles.net
Tel: 613-258-2901; Fax: 613-258-1819
http://www.mgedit.com