Re: brush nonsense

To: "TR6 list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brush nonsense
From: "JEFFREY FETNER" <FETNERJ001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 15:05:10 +0600
Gary,
  I had a similiar problem with the field coil brushes on my TR4 starter.  I
just cut the braided copper leads about 1/4" from the bar that they are
bonded to.  I cut the new brushes at the same place and soldered the ends
(old lead stub and new brush long lead with insulation) together.  The trick
is that pair of brushes must be insulated and not touch the case.  Shrink
tubing over the soldered connections is in order.  I probably didn't use a
big enough soldering iron - maybe real auto-electric shops do it routinely.

   Your problem with the external solenoid may be this:  There are 2 coils,
a heavy-duty 'pull-in' coil and a small holding coil.  The holding coil does
not have enough electrical 'oompf' to close the starter connection - only
enough to keep it closed once there.
   Both coils get power from the large spade connector at the back.  The
hold-in coil return path is through ground (the case of the solenoid &
starter).  However, the return path for the pull-in coil flows through the
large solenoid post that supplies power to the starter motor itself.  This
is so the pull-in coil will be cut out during actual starting (allowing all
available power to go to actually turning the motor I guess).
   Anyway, if you removed the soleniod, dismantle, clean and reassemble,
you'll wonder (like I did) why it won't even close the starter connection if
you test by applying 12V power to the large spade connection ("WR") and the
solenoid body.  It will work fine when attatched to the starter, but to test
the pull-in coil while the solenoid is off the starter, you must connect
ground to the lower large main post ("STA" terminal).  Hope this helps - I
never had much luck rebuilding my TR6 starter.

Jeff
'74 CF13816U