Re: brush nonsense

To: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brush nonsense
From: "JEFFREY FETNER" <FETNERJ001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:26:47 +0600
Gary,
  Did you replace the front & rear bronze bushings?  On mine the rotation
and weight of the armature had worn the rear bushing oval and the armature
had lowered.  It had started rubbing on the lower field coil shoe and would
bind up as the torque of turning the engine kicked the armature out of true.
No cure except new bushings to hold the armature straight (I used the whole
rear part of a like-new TR-7 starter - lots of similiar starter components)
When you turn it by hand it does not 'kick over' like when loaded.
   Also, it might be a shorted field coil.  Pretty uncommon, but examine the
four field coils carefully for missing/decayed cloth insulation.  It's tough
to see because the field coil is held tight against the case by the pole
shoe with cloth insulation squeezed in between.  You can try tapping the
case vertically on the floor and look for telltale charred 'dust' from
burned insulation - or remove the shoes and check & reinsulate.  A real
auto-electric shop may have a way to test 'em before you get in that deep.
   Have fun!

Jeff
'74 CF13816U