Re: brush nonsense

To: "JEFFREY FETNER" <FETNERJ001@hawaii.rr.com>
Subject: Re: brush nonsense
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:51:33 -0700
Jeff,

Thanks for your comments.  The bushings on my starter did not appear to
allow any slop in the armature location.  Something was wrong though, most
likely one or more pole shoes out of position (didn't see any marks on
these) or the bushings are indeed sloppy.  Something caused for rings to be
gouged into the armature.  I just got to the point where I didn't want to
spend any more time trying to fix the original starter.

I received a gear reduction starter today from British Parts Northwest and
hope to install it tomorrow.  I am amazed at how much smaller the motor
itself is than the stock Lucas motor.  BPNW has what seems to be a very good
price on the starter ($185.00) and the UPS charge is not bad from Oregon to
Washington.  Also, no shipping cost or hassle of exchanging a core.  The net
cost is probably not much more than buying a Lucas replacement.  I'll let
you know how well it performs.

Gary
'73