Re: TR6 Running Rich - Update

To: Chip19474@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Running Rich - Update
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 05:12:26 +0000
Hi Chip,

You still need to figure out why the fuel pressure is dropping to zero.
Spending time on other issues before you resolve this one may be a misguided
use of your time.

And in terms of needles, you can first adjust your mixture (rich versus
lean) by adjusting the needle that you currently have in your car.  If it is
running overly rich once warm and that is the cause of your warm-running
woes, you can always lower the needles (lean out the mixture).  In the 1969
TR6 carbs you lower them manually by backing out the set-screw and moving
the height of the needles and then retightening the set-screw).  In the
1970-1976 carbs you need to use a mixture adjustment tool.

You probably don't need to buy new needles if your car is running as poorly
as you have mentioned (though I'm not familiar with triple-carbed high
performance TR6 engines, only race-prepped 4-carbed 4-cylinder motorcycle
engines).  Changing away from stock needles most likely won't fix very poor
running, especially if they are the ones designed for the carburettor.
Though the problem might go away if you installed new needles due to the
fact that you would have to adjust the height of newly installed needles
(adjust their mixture).  I recommend adjusting the needles that you
currently have.  When you get the motor straightened out and running
reasonably, then you might want to experiment with different needles.
Needles are not too cheap either, I believe they start at $15.  I don't even
want to know what "high-performance" ones cost.

Good luck.

Sincerely,
Dave Herbert