Re: Chrome vs. painted wire wheels

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Subject: Re: Chrome vs. painted wire wheels
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:18:32 -0400
Probably a dumb question, but here goes.....

I have two parts cars (MGB's) with wire wheels and flat tires -- they
need to be moved.

Is it reasonable to think that I can load them onto a flat bed w/o
damaging the wire wheels, or is it a given that I must mount some tires
before moving the cars?

If these are Dayton wire wheels, maybe they are worth saving? Can I tell
whether they are Dayton's in some way?

Thanks,

Don Malling

Kai M. Radicke wrote:
 >>Regarding the sealant on Daytons, Really?  I don't have to use
 >>tubes? I would assume if the spokes were adjusted it would
 >>disrupt the sealant.
 >>Joe Davis
 >

 > Yes, really.  From Dayton's website, "Tubeless designs which provide a
 > guaranteed seal, yet the wheel can still be disassembled for repair if
 > damaged. "
 >
 > http://www.daytonwirewheels.com
 >
 > Dayton supplied wire wheels to Jaguar for cars like the XJS and XJ6.
  Every
 > single one of them that I have handled, cleaned and sold since I started
 > playing around with these cars, has had the thick light-yellow waxy
sealant
 > around the entire inner band of the rim.  When I sold British car parts
 > during the summers in HS, the Dayton wheels we sold for MGBs and TR6s had
 > the same sealant.
 >
 > I have always been impressed with the quality of a Dayton wheel.  If you
 > look at any used wire wheel, when you dismount the tire, there is
bound to
 > be corrosion on the inside of the rim where the spoke ties into the
rim.  I
 > favor the sealed wheels partly because no moisture can collect in
this area
 > during long winter storage, or even if you park your car outside, or
drive
 > it in all sorts of weather.
 >
 > But yes, if for some reason your wire wheel needs rebuilding or
truing, you
 > will have to break the layer of sealant to remove that spoke.  I do
not know
 > the procedure to repair this, but the chance of a new set of Daytons
needing
 > repair work in the next 10 years is slim to none.  The TR6 I just
purchased
 > came with a set of used wire wheels, I took them down to the motorcycle
 > shop, and they were all within runout spec, balanced and all the
spokes were
 > nice and true... I just got charged $20 per wheel for the inspection.
  Now I
 > can paint them without worrying about their condition.
 >
 > Remember that wire wheels need to be balanced correctly when you have the
 > tires mounted, especially the knockoff kind.  When you buy a set from
Moss I