RE: Problems at 4500 RPM

To: "'Mitchel Seff'" <ms6453@optonline.net>
Subject: RE: Problems at 4500 RPM
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:46:25 -0400
Dick Taylor
Mitch Seff
Seth Glassman

I apologize for the "you can't be serious" comment I made.

Dick,

I realize you provide a lot of help to the guys on the list, far more
than I have time for!

I simply found it humorous that Seth was surprised his engine went flat
at 4,500 RPM. This is typical of a stock engine.

Seth's description, (of the circumstances surrounding his disappointment
in the engines ability to rev), was vague at best.

For example:

Who performed the rebuild?
Was it done by competent automotive machine shop?
Or did Seth do it himself?

Maybe the engine had a "non-stock" cam prior to being rebuilt?
These engines are very sensitive to valve train modifications. In other
words, it takes very little to really make the engine come alive as is
evident by the fact that high ratio rockers make such a difference.

To everyone who may be new to Triumphs and automotive mechanics in
general:

When using a communication medium that is fraught with delays, (e-mail),
it is important to be concise when providing a synopsis of events that
led to a problem. It is far more courteous when asking others for their
time; to spend a little time ensuring that you have provided every bit
of information pertaining to your problem.
Again,

No offense intended,

Jim Swarthout