RE: Problems at 4500 RPM

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Problems at 4500 RPM
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:15:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com (Jim Swarthout) Date: Sun, Jun 22,
2003, 10:46pm (PDT+3) To: ms6453@optonline.net ('Mitchel Seff') Cc:
tr6taylor@webtv.net ('Sally or Dick Taylor'), 76tr6@optonline.net ('Seth
Glassman'), 6pack@autox.team.net ('6 Pack') Subject: RE: Problems at
4500 RPM
Dick Taylor
Mitch Seff
Seth Glassman

Jim Swarthout wrote:
...I apologize for the "you can't be serious" comment I made.
Dick,
I realize you provide a lot of help to the guys on the list, far more
than I have time for!
I simply found it humorous that Seth was surprised his engine went flat
at 4,500 RPM. This is typical of a stock engine.

Jim---You may have thought it humorous, but it was on my reply, not the
original post. Neither was called for.
Seth's post read that "his engine would not rev past 4500 rpms", not
simply go flat. We know that the power band drops off considerably with
a stock valve train around this rpm, but should still be able to get to
the red line.
My reply to Seth was centered around areas that could have been the
cause of this rev restriction. An earlier post by Seth made known the
fact that he was trying out a supercharger, a different carburetor,
ignition, and some other "new" things.
Those of us following this thread knew of this.

Jim wrote on, in part:
..Seth's description, (of the circumstances surrounding his
disappointment in the engines ability to rev), was vague at best.
For example:
...Maybe the engine had a "non-stock" cam prior to being rebuilt? These
engines are very sensitive to valve train modifications. In other words,
it takes very little to really make the engine come alive as is evident
by the fact that high ratio rockers make such a difference....

Nice plug!

....To everyone who may be new to Triumphs and automotive mechanics in
general:
When using a communication medium that is fraught with delays, (e-mail),
it is important to be concise when providing a synopsis of events that
led to a problem. It is far more courteous when asking others for their
time; to spend a little time ensuring that you have provided every bit
of information pertaining to your problem.
Again,
No offense intended,
Jim Swarthout

I can't disagree with that!