Re: Defective Cam - Status/Update

To: RFabie@erols.com
Subject: Re: Defective Cam - Status/Update
From: Jay Welch <jay_welch@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:03:33 GMT
Bob, Your experience with BPNW doesn't surprise me.  They seem like a great
bunch, they're prices are reasonable and their candy makes me smile :-)

Jay Welch
Abington, MA
1971 TR6 Project
1973 Driver with "potential"
Member Cape Cod British Car Club CCBCC http://www.capecodbritishcarclub.org/

--- "Bob Fabie" <RFabie@erols.com> wrote:

Good News: Hemmings procedure for removing the cam from the TR6 works
perfectly. It took me about 5 hours (I'm slow, but organized). It may not have
been necessary, but I detached the crossmember and the steering rack because
there isn't much clearance between them and the harmonic balancer/pulley.

Bad News: All but a couple of the lifters were badly pitted and the cam
mirrored the damage. Two of the lobes were obviously rounded and one had a
chipped edge.

Good News: Before I contacted them, the  owner of BPNW promptly contacted me
after I posted my initial report of the problem with the cam on the Triumph
list. They expressed concern and a desire to resolve the issue. They are
sending me a pre-paid postage tag to return the lifters and cam for inspection
Regardless of the final outcome, one could not ask for better customer service
or responsiveness than what BPNW is providing.

Cam Choices: I've heard from several of you. New "chilled iron" cams from TSI,
TRF, Integral and GoodParts have been recommended, as well as the need to
purchase hardened lifters. I haven't decided on which one yet, or the grind,
but your collective comments, experiences and recommendations are greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

Bob Fabie
'75 TR6
Fredericksburg, Va