Re: Back-to-front ring gears

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Back-to-front ring gears
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 20:57:19 -0700 (PDT)
Jonmac wrote: (in part)
(6Pack) Subject: Re: 'Back to front' starter ring gears

Someone wrote:
<I spoke with TRF's tech line and they said that Triumph (you'll love
this one) put the entire run of TR-6 ring gears on with the bevel that
helps the starter gear engage with the ring gear facing the rear of the
car.>

Jonmac---Obviously having the bevel facing the rear on a starter with
the pinion entering from the front doesn't make much sense. I guess this
TRF person should be talking with their co-workers so they can agree.

Jon cotinues:
<This just has to be another of those quaint little myths that are now
believed by so many to be the gospel truth. It's not unlike the
widely-held belief (in the US) that the Jaguar plant had earth floors or
that all the roadtesters at MG were able to take home the car of their
choice for the night "to ensure it had been properly made."
We'll never know who gave birth to this ring gear anecdote but whoever
it is, perhaps they might like to consider the following:
- All six cylinder Standard-Triumph engines were made on the same line.
Ergo, US TR6 engines were built on the Vitesse, TR injection, 2000,
2.5PI and 2500 for all markets. Consequently US spec engines were in a
minority in terms of total engine build count. Did anyone from TRF
Technical ever see those engines being built? Probably not.

One doesn't have to see them built to be able to tell if their TR6 had
the gear backwards.

- From an after sales perspective, flywheel ring gear slippage was
certainly a major problem and there was ample evidence that many dealers
did refit the ring gears incorrectly - i.e. fitters forgot the pinion
moved forwards to engage rather than backwards.
But top marks to whoever in TRF for thinking up such a charming piece of
'olde Englishe' nonsense.
(Clipped for brevity)
Jonmac

Jonmac---I do not think that thread was started to slight any English
workmanship.
However, no one has come forward (on this list, and in the USA) to say
they had a TR6 with their ring gear bevel facing the starter pinion.
Just the opposite appears to be true, as we have indeed found that these
cars have the bevel on the rear side.  (I wouldn't have any idea why it
would be different for LH drive models,if this is the case). To assume
that some were "turned around" at our dealerships. and this accounts for
the incorrectness, is a bit of a stretch!

Frankly, it appears to make no difference as to which side this ring
gear bevel faces.

Dick Taylor
'73
Los Angeles