Re: REar end supports

To: choffman9@cinci.rr.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: REar end supports
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 22:33:11 -0400
Curt,

You do not have to open the differential in order to replace the differential
bushings.  The two bushings on the rear mounts are bolted to the differential
with two bolts for each bushing.  The front ones are slightly different with
the half the bushing placed above the differential, and half below.  The TRF
catalog, or the Moss Motors web site will show this clearly.  You will however,
have to drop the differential, which will require you to loosen the twelve
bolts and nuts that attach the driveshaft and the two shaft flanges.

However, I wouldnt think that the clunk would be coming from the bushings.  You
dont mention a history of the differential mounts or if they have been
inspected and/or repaired.  If you havent done anything to them I would suspect
possible cracks in the mounts.  If the differentail mounts are fine and/or have
been repaired then you might look at the U-joints.  Worn U-joints can give a
similar noise.  My two cents, others may have additional or different opinions.

Aaron Cropley
Topsham, Maine