rear end noise

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: rear end noise
From: Grant Kester <gkester@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:43:27 -0700
Dear List Members,

Just recently my rear end ('69 TR6) has begun making a low frequency
thumping/clunking noise. I don't believe it's the dreaded differential
noise. It occurs only when the drive shaft is engaged and increases in
frequency as the speed/rpms increase (it starts out slow and speeds
up). It sounds almost like something rubbing or thunking against
something else around the rear end/drive shaft or possibly the rear
axel. I jacked it up but couldn't see any contact points with the drive
shaft, etc. Any obvious causes for this?

Thanks,
Grant Kester
gkester@ucsd.edu