List Rules/Guidelines

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: List Rules/Guidelines
From: "Mike" <74@tr6world.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 07:32:00 -0400
Many of you have e-mailed me with your opinions of this recent debate
regarding those list subscribers who are using this list to promote
their products.  Many seem to be against this use, but there are some
who favor it.

The 6pack list was started by me on my computer.  It ran there for a
couple of years and had about 300 list and digest subscribers.  During
this time, there was a welcome message that contained the basic
guidelines that subscribers were agreeing to when they
subscribe. There have also been verbal guidelines that were sent out
to those who seemed to have pushed the limits of the original intent
for this list. There are some subscribers who are offended by the fact
that they subscribed to the list to hear from and help TR6 enthusiasts
or fellow club members, but yet find themselves being solicited.  For
years, subscribers who sent jokes, spam messages, non TR related
content and commercial type messages were contacted by me (off list)
and asked to refrain from these types of messages.  So, there are some
guidelines in writing and some that are verbal.  If you were not
contacted by me off list, then I either missed the message, or deemed
it to be ok.

When I moved the list over to the team.net server (thank you very much
mark brakakis), these same guidelines were applied to the welcome
message on the team.net 6pack list.  There were a few additions to the
message including references to spamming & jokes.  During the past
year or so, the welcome message was changed to it's current state with
some of the original guidelines being left off.  I am not sure why
this happened as I did not make these changes.  I will see what I can
do about getting them posted again.  The 6-PACK website has been
promoting the list for years.  Here is a snipit explaining the purpose
of the list from our website:

"The list is not to be used for advertising, spamming or any junk
e-mail such as chain letters and jokes. Such mail will cause the
immediate removal of the offending e-mail sender from the list.  Your
subscription is welcomed and your participation is valued."

Here is the original welcome message a new subscriber would receive
when joining the list.

-----------
Welcome to the 6Pack e-mail list!

This list is run by Mike Brinker for the purpose of serving the 6Pack
(National Triumph TR6 & 250 Club) Members.

Please read the following guidelines to participate with the 6Pack
e-mail Lists.

1.  If any profanity, violent acts or otherwise offensive submissions
are sent, 6Pack has the option to permanently remove the offending
senders e-mail address from the list without warning.

2.  The 6Pack club, its officers and supporting staff are not
responsible for the content of the list.

3.  This 6Pack e-mail list is available for the expressed purposes of
enabling it's members to communicate and help support the technical
and informational needs surrounding the 6Pack Club, and the Triumph
TR6 & 250 Automobile.

4.  Names & e-mail addresses are not intended for use other than those
expressed above.  Any abuse of this list will prompt immediate removal
of the offending party from the list.

5.  Any technical advice or suggestions offered on this list are those
of the originating e-mail sender and not of the 6Pack list manager or
the 6Pack organization.

6.  Neither the 6pack organization, its officers or the list manager
are responsible for the delivery of any messages and can not guarantee
the reliability of any timely e-mail transmissions.  We can not
guarantee that the e-mail will be routed immediately or as posted.

7.  6Pack reserves the right to use any of the e-mail content for its
use.  Any information submitted to the 6Pack list can be used in its
quarterly magazine or any other purposes without the permission of the
author.

Please abide by these guidelines and take advantage of the resources
your club has made available!

-----------

I don't have a problem with a person who is trying to sell his TR6 so
that it will go to a good home.  That type of message usually only is
posted once from them and that is that last time we hear of it.....
What I have been trying to avoid is the situation we are currently in.
I have vendors contacting me saying it isn't fair that this person can
post about his products, but we can't.  Then I have other list
subscribers who feel as though they are being advertised to.  Why is
the simple guideline of not using this list for commercial gain so
difficult to follow?  Why the debate?

I am probably the one of the biggest TR6 enthusiasts around.  The list
has worked great for so many people for years..... until this topic
came up.  For those of you who disagree, I have been working on a
solution to this problem for over a year.  I will keep you posted on
this solution in the coming weeks.

Let's move this topic off list so that we can get back to helping each
other with our cars.  If you feel you need to reply, please send your
replies to websixpack@6-pack.org rather than the list.

Thank you,

Mike Brinker
6-PACK List Coordinator