Re: Removing rear axle

To: "John North" <jnorth@novagate.com>,
Subject: Re: Removing rear axle
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:54:49 -0400
John,

Yes, there's certainly not a whole lot of room to work in there with tools.
I recall that a box end 12-point wrench was very useful on one side and a
open end wrench on the other.  The box end keeps a good secure grip on the
hex head and allows small incremental unscrewing.  It's a slow process but
by moving the two wrenches in opposite directions simultaneously (actually
both in respective counter-clockwise direction) you unscrew at about twice
the speed.

Unless there's alot of rust down below the nuts just need some muscle to
loosen up as years of caked road grime and the boots usually protect this
area from corrosion.  Try to slip a 12"-24" piece of steel pipe over the end
of the box end wrench for added leverage.  To prevent axle movement put the
car in gear so the axle locks up to the engine - just be sure the front
tires are blocked.

Greg Dito
CD6250L