Loctite

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Loctite
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:46:53 +0000
Hi List (and Don),

        I raced GP (motorcycles) for a bit and I was my own wrench.  Loctite
can be
handy but it is better to understand exactly why you might need it.  If a
bolt is backing out regularly the fit may not be good.  Dick, as he always
does, had intelligent things to say about loctite.  Red loctite can really
be hard stuff and unless you are going into outer space (like rml) or the
threads are messed up and you are trying to compensate for that, I see very
little need for it.  So yes, the red can be overused.  Specifically in the
scenario of putting it on smaller bolts with fine threads.  Fine threads
hold the bolts better in the first place.  They also often have less room
(on a microscopic level) between the threads and the bolt.
        The blue stuff can be helpful and can be broken free.  But even there,
if
the threads, bolt and lockwasher are in good condition, there is little call
for them in most cases.

        I don't use the steel locking plates on the fan bolts on my TR6 because
all
my hardware is stainless steel and I didn't want to fabricate (nor bend) the
stainless steel plates.  Even there I only use blue.

Sincerely,
Dave Herbert

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your current Internet access and enjoy
patented spam control and more.  Get two months FREE!