re: Convertible Top Fit Question

To: <cwrm4@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Convertible Top Fit Question
From: "Paul G. Edelstein" <pgedelstein@capitaltriumphregister.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:44:40 -0500
William,

Answer:  Not C or B (this sounds like a frame, not a top, problem), maybe A,
or maybe F -- bad design.  I am assuming that your glass is not parallel to
the metal frame.

I have the same problem on my newly restored car.  I did all the work,
meticulously, myself.  The driver's side lines up pretty good, but the
passenger side has the 1/2 inch gap.

The mounts for the top frame are actually adjustable.  This will change the
location of the B pillar with respect to the body and the windscreen.  Simply
loosen the 3 screws that attach it (you'll have to rotate the frame and
recline the seat to get to all three), then you can raise, lower, or rotate
it.  To solve the gap, you'll want to lower it.

Unfortunately (for me), mine is adjusted down all the way and there is still a
gap.  Still working on a solution ...

If the above doesn't work, you can also adjust the top stop on the door glass.
While this will raise both the front and the back of the glass, you may be
able to "split the difference" and get an acceptable result.  This requires
removing the door handle, but is otherwise simple. Loosen the stop (2 screws),
slide to the front of the car all the way, wind the window to the desired
height, slide the stop back against the regulator, then tighten and
reassemble.  Removing the door panel will take 98% of the time.

Good luck,

Paul Edelstein
Annandale, VA
71 TR6 Damson CC67060