re: Actual Moto lita wheel size?

To: "Paul G. Edelstein" <pgedelstein@capitaltriumphregister.com>
Subject: re: Actual Moto lita wheel size?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:09:06 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Paul G. Edelstein wrote:

> Joe,

Hi.

> Excellent choice.

Agreed.

> My early 6 came stock with a 15" wheel.  Thus, I purchased a 15" Motolita and
> it was HUGE.  The fatter grip exacerbates the look of the size of the wheel.
> I promptly returned it, and got a 14" one.  It is beautiful.  I get all kinds
> of complements on it.  I selected the polished aluminum, leather wrapped, with
> thin slots in the spokes (very close to the OEM design).  The actual OD is 14
> 1/2".  I believe that they also make a 13" one, but that size would probably
> obscure the gauges too much.

I have 13" wheels on both my TR6's - there is no obstruction of the
gauges.

I _LOVE_ my 13 inch steering wheels, they make the car a lot easier to
drive. Note, by easier, I do not mean less effort to turn the wheel, it's
just more controllable and less linear distance to move your hands when
you need to react quickly. I happen to use Grant Signature GT Series
wheels with the hub adapter, this moves the wheel closer to your chest,
but it winds up being a nearly ideal position to get good leverage.

> After some research, I found that the best price on these (wheel and hub, sold
> separately) was from Little British Car Company (lbcarco.com).  TRF also has
> them, if you catch a good sale.  NFI in either, of course.

By way of comparison, the Grant with adapter is roughly in the $125 range
with the wheel and adapter, maybe a bit less if you shop around. FOr
example, I paid around $50 each for both wheels from a local speed shop.
The adapter was (1998/1999 timeframe) $45.

> Good luck.
>
> Paul E.
> Annandale, VA
> 71 TR6 Damson CC67060
> 80 TR8 Aqua TPVDV8AT210430

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |