Re: Finding a flat level surface to measure camber

To: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Finding a flat level surface to measure camber
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:57:27 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Peter Macholdt wrote:

> After measuring the camber on my 250 several times and getting several
> different readings, I checked the garage floor. It is not completely level,
> or even and is causing quite a bit of variation in my measurements.

I'll go  out on a limb here - have you thought about using a shop with an
alignment rack? I know it's not the same as "doing it yourself", but an
alignment racj is the right tool for the job.

> Does anybody have any tricks for creating an even level surface short of
> ripping out the old floor and pouring a new one?

The "right way" to do this in the absence of a level floor is to buy four
"leveling pads". Roll the car onto the pads, make your measurements, roll
it off, make the changes, roll it around to settle the suspension and roll
it back on.

At race tracks, there's uaully a level pad for making the measurements.
Also, any track that does NASCAR events will have a very level tech shed
(with in-ground scale).

One outside possibility is a place with some truck scales. As you can
probably imagine, having the scales level is crucial to getting accurate
results.

> I was thinking that since the floor is close to level maybe I should shim
> the framers square so that it is level and then take my measurements.

Levelling pads. Trust me.

> The alternative is to find a good slab of concrete somewhere.

Good luck! Like I said - a race track def., a truck scale maybe.

Your call.

> Thanks,
> Peter
> '68 TR250

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |