Re: Rocker Cover refurbish

To: <andr.jrsquared@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Rocker Cover refurbish
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:17:19 -0000
Jimmy Richards wrote:
Any hints for leak free installation of rocker cover and gasket?

That's surely a bit of an oxymoron for a Standard Triumph engine - one that
doesn't leak! Ideally, the cork gasket should work without application of goo
but I use 'Wellseal' - the product they used at the factory. As for the cover
retaining studs poking through, the factory used fibre washers and nyloc nuts
- which leaked, especially when over-torqued. I used domed nuts and stud
collars from a Kawasaki motorcycle engine. You'll always get oil mist from the
filler cap. If you strive for originality, accept the fact the rocker cover
will look a mess if left unwiped. This is one of the pleasures of Standard
Triumph ownership and reflects the factory's obsession in using certain
cheapskate measures to (hopefully) cure probs, while end user price was pegged
to the highest possible level. Bent wire hose clamps in preference to the
Jubilee type used by other mftrs are another example.

Jonmac

"In the Shadow of my Father" aka "Life at Triumph"
Still a few copies left. Still time to catch the Christmas mail
http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook

---