Re: Engine lift

To: "Darcy Hunter" <darcyhunter@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Engine lift
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:14:26 -0500
Darcy,

Either way you really need to pull apart the interior because the gear shift
lever needs to be removed from the trans top cover for clearance under the
firewall if you going to try (emphasis on try) to remove the trans with the
engine.  I've never done it this way but from what I've heard it is not easy
because there is very limited forward clearance to the grille area.  To have
any success you probably need a pretty wicked upward angle on the
engine/trans which is then limited by floor clearance.  I'm not sure that
such an angle is even possible or safe.

It is a whole lot easier to detach the trans from inside the interior then
lift out the engine.  It may sound like a hassle but you have to detach the
trans anyway, so make it easy on yourself and do it BEFORE you pull the
engine.

I purchased an engine stand from an Auto Zone for $40.  It beats renting one
and then paying almost as much in the rental and having nothing to show for
it.  Plus there is no rush if something gets delayed, a common occurrence.
But rent the lift unless you plan on opening your own shop.  They are
expensive.

Greg Dito
CD6250L