Re: Harmonic Balancer Rebuild?

To: "Douglas Morris" <dcmdcm@earthlink.net>, "6pack"
Subject: Re: Harmonic Balancer Rebuild?
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:57:10 -0500
Doug,

The rubber between the inner and outer hubs loses its elasticity over time
and begins cracking.  While onto itself not a terrible thing,  as the cracks
become larger and the rubber less pliable the harmonic damping effect, as
well as its overall balance, becomes affected.  I definitely had a high RPM
vibration that have been caused by the old damper but I refurbished it
nonetheless just to get it in better consdition.  One less aged part to
worry about.

The old rubber is stripped away and new rubber poured in between the two
sections.  The damper is tested and balanced then painted.

There are at least a couple of shops that do this work.  One that I used and
am very pleased with the work:
 Damper Dudes
6180 Parallel Road
Anderson, CA 96007