RE: TR6 Performance Books (was fender bracng)

To: Jim Davis <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Performance Books (was fender bracng)
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:58:06 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

The appeal of the Williams books in the UK is (in my opinion) based on the
lure as opposed to real need. I subscribe to Triumph World, for example -
a FINE magazine. However, there's a lot of "fluff" and not much substance.

I'm not quite sure why this is, but it seems to be the rule.

For example, look to details of performance mods on the race cars they've
covered in TW... there's "useful" stuff there like "the track was widened
and the fenders were cleverly repositioned to hide the fact". Huh? How
about this: the track was widenened about .5 inches (12mm) by using wheel
spacers that were custom fabricated on a CNC machine by XYZZY Fabrication.

They _never_ tell you the real details.

That's not to say that folk in Britain can't make a TRiumph go like hell.
Au contraire. But disseminating that info to casual users is rarely done.

To racers, the situation is even worse. Nobody wants to tell you anything
because you might use the info to beat them on the track. GO figure.

BTW, ask me anyhting and I'll tell you what I know. But I'll also tell you
some stuff that I don't know. Just key in on phrases like "I've done" and
"I think"... draw your own conclusions.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |