re: wobbly column (key light)

To: <DaCRANEz@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: wobbly column (key light)
From: "Paul G. Edelstein" <pgedelstein@capitaltriumphregister.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:09:27 -0500
Mike,

This light is called the "Key Light."   It is shown on the 72-74 wiring
diagram (Bentley p. 488, #65).  My '71 has this component, too.  BTW, my car
has the key warning buzzer, also shown in the 72-74 diagram but not on the
up-to-71 diagram.  But you can't use the 72-74 diagram for everything -- 71s
do NOT have the seatbelt warning system.  My best guess is that the wiring was
evolving, so none of the diagrams is perfect ...

The Key Light should have 2 wires -- Purple/orange (provides switched power
from the driver's door pin switch) and black (ground).  It is supposed to come
on when the driver's door opens, regardless of key position or status.  The
light shares power from the door pin switch with the key buzzer, but ground
differently.

I'm guessing that yours does not work properly because it may be cross wired
with the key buzzer wire (Black/Green) which grounds when the key is in
(although this would not entirely explain the symptoms), and/or the pin switch
is miswired (this is tricky -- study the diagram and use a volt/ohm meter to
figure out how is should and/or does work).

Good luck!

Paul E.
Annandale, VA
71 TR6 Damson CC67060